Stars feel the Bern

Hollywood actors make University appearance for Sanders publicity

Anthony Karambelas

If you were wondering why these Bernie Sanders chants rang through the air last Tuesday, or why there were so many Eyewitness news trucks buzzing around campus, here’s the answer you’ve been waiting for.

Four of Bernie’s biggest celebrity supporters came to rally Golden Eagle support for his campaign: Rosario Dawson, Josh Hutcherson, Heather Matazzaro, and Frances Fisher.

There were many photo ops and autographs opportunities made throughout the day. But above all, these four actors showed up in support of the one presidential candidate they believe best represents the American people.

Earlier on that day, the four celebrities also visited East Los Angeles College and Rio Hondo College. As individuals, these celebrities have participated in demonstrations across California and the greater United States.Rosario Dawson has spoken at Sanders’ rallies from San Diego to the Bronx, while Josh Hutcherson has taken on the Midwest, representing Sanders at his Iowa City rally.

Still energized after a long day of Bernie support throughout L.A., Dawson, Hutcherson, Matazzaro and Fisher encouraged Cal State LA students to register to vote to cast their votes for Sanders in the upcoming democratic nomination. Amid countless selfies, they answered and elicited questions about the nominee. They also openly discussed their views on the other presidential candidates with attendees, creating a friendly environment for thoughtful political discourse.

Dawson was especially expressive and willing to share what she loved so much about Bernie Sanders. Namely, she expressed a fondness for his transparency and integrity.

“He’s saying the things that he really wants to get done and will get done. He’s unequivocal about it,” said Dawson. The actress spent a generous amount of one-on-one time with students, and as she made her signature heart-shaped hand sign, she said “the reason why I joined this campaign was because of all of you guys.”

Dawson went on to express how she loves that young people are representing Sanders through their social media. On the topic of Sanders’ representation in the press and other forms of mass media, however, Dawson wasn’t so appreciative. In fact, she stated that she’s lost a lot of respect for some of her favorite news sources.

“I can’t believe you just asked him three times in a row if he was going to quit when half the country hasn’t even voted yet,” Dawson said. “What kind of journalism is that? You have him [Sanders] on your show for a few minutes; I’ve met the man and I still have a gazillion questions I’d love to ask him and that’s what you’re asking is why he should even bother?”

Dawson also offered advice to CSU students on how to get involved in the election, whether or not they meet the age requirement. Flipping out her phone, Dawson instructed to do your research on political candidates, and families should be talking about no fracking, stopping regime change, infrastructure, education, universal health care, etc.

Fellow actor Josh Hutcherson had similar words of wisdom to share.

“I think as an American it’s such an incredible privilege we have to be able to take part in our democracy, so do a little research. Go to a few websites. See where you land [as a voter]. Also look at voting records. You can look up so many videos on YouTube, seeing Bernie for 40 years saying the same things,” said Hutcherson.

With the presidential election just around the corner, it is about time for us, as the American public, to become more knowledgeable about politics and political figures.