When Will the Pain Stop?

loudlabs

loudlabs

Edward Saldana

The police shootings have been happening more lately than ever before. It has sparked up so much controversy between various ethnic groups, especially groups like Black Lives Matter. These tragic instances are happening closer and closer to campus. One shooting started in Louisiana, where the police killed a black man, while he was on the ground. This received national attention from us and the media. Controversy started because people have their own sides that they are on. Soon after, a suspect killed officers in Dallas, as a result of that. The Dallas shootings brought more controversy. The arguments for both sides are seen on social media, where people begin to argue their own opinion about the shootings. Most recently was in Fresno, when a male refused to put both hands up. Then the police shot him, and debate seemed endless. Day by day it feels like it is creeping closer to our campus here in Los Angeles.

Sarely Perez, a television film major, says “it’s really sad what is going on.” The videos are on social media and the reaction has that sick feeling. There is an important thing to understand and that is we can’t generalize. Remember not all cops are bad, and not all citizens are bad. The issue is when one situation pops up, then people say that all cops are bad. Then when it vice versa when it happens to people from different backgrounds. Generalization is the problem of what we have. Everyone has their right to protest and have their own opinion. This has to change for the country to move forward.

Elizabeth Arguilez, who is also a television and film expressed her opinion about the police shootings. “It’s disgusting,” she says. It is very hard to see the ending of these types of shootings. There is always a loser that comes out on both sides. There are ways to find peace and there is a solution for both sides. Communication is very important and the results could change. With lack of communication, matters begin to get worse. Within the last year, the police shootings have been occurring. Cops shooting citizens and citizens shooting cops. It has been going both ways. As a country, we have to unite as one, in order to move forward and find answers.