The Library’s New Look

The University library went under construction during the summer session.

Joseph Delgado

Joseph Delgado

Edward Saldana

Once the spring quarter ended, the Library’s Facebook page announced that there were big changes coming. There were signs all around the building saying “Big Changes Coming Soon!”. The Library just added Café 47 during this past spring break, but that was only the beginning of the changes that were going to occur.

The construction on the outside of the building was minor, as the main changes were on the inside of the building. The University Times spoke with Carlos Rodriguez, the newly appointed Dean of the University Library, to learn more about the changes implemented. Rodriguez began working at CSULA around six months ago, and knows all about college libraries as he worked on different campuses. He came to campus with big ideas to implement changes to make the library a more student-friendly atmosphere. “One of the goals of the refurbishing is to make the library not just a better environment but more friendly and welcomed,” Rodriguez said.

The first floor is where the students will see the big changes, as Rodriguez said that they were getting new furniture for the first floor. During the summer, when you walked into the library, there was a white plastic curtain covering the service desk, and they installed a new service desk. Since the café opened up, he doesn’t want the students to grab food and leave, he wants them to sit and relax on the new furniture. He wants the first floor of the library to be like the student union, where students can casually hang out.

He wants to change the mentality, that the students are at the library because they need to print one thing out and then leave. He wants them to stay longer and for students to see it as another hangout destination like many areas around campus. He wants the first floor to have less computers and be a less production style environment.

He wants the floors above to be more of a production atmosphere. The floors above had yellow caution tape, and that’s where the computers are going to go. The computers will move to the higher levels. He wants a different atmosphere on each floor of the library. If you want quiet and want to work on homework, or if you want to socialize, then you can go to the specific floors customized for each activity. Even on the floors above, Rodriguez is aware that not a lot of those study areas are open, especially the ones that go on both sides of the library, so his goal is to make them all available for the students.

The goal is to utilize all the available space that the library has. All the changes are for the students and are geared to provide a great atmosphere for them. The basement levels A and B are quiet study hall areas. Level A was re-done and is now a silent study for the students who need to have complete silence, so they can concentrate on their classes. Level A is a room with desks spread out from another so each student can have their own private study space. Rodriguez’s goal is to have these most of these changes done before the start of the fall semester.