ASI President means business

Kayla Stamps discusses vision for coming school year

ASI President means business

Joshua Harris

Joshua Harris

Joshua Harris

Anthony Karambelas

Who’s ready for a new school year? Our new ASI President, Kayla Stamps, certainly is. The fourth year Communications major deservedly won the respect of an overwhelming majority of voters in last year’s ASI election. So who is she and what can we expect from her this year?

In her freshman year at Cal State LA, Stamps recalled, she never would have thought that ASI would be in her future. Only until the beginning of last year did Stamps leave her job at Wells Fargo to get more involved on campus. She started working at the Information and Event Services front desk in the University-Student Union, and it was there that she decided to get even more involved by joining a few campus clubs.

“In sitting there [at the front desk] and talking with students and engaging and seeing what was going on in the campus climate, I was like, there needs to be a change. As cliche as it sounds … Even in the clubs, people were vocalizing changes that they wanted to see on campus.”

After a while, Stamps grew sick of waiting for change to happen and knew it was time to take action. She reached out to the ASI president at the time, Ejmin Hakobian, for more information on the position and from there decided to run. Stamps recounted, “President was number one on my radar because I thought that helping to impact policies and getting hands-on [was interesting] … Because of my background in Communications, my passion for people, my love for people, and engagement as a whole, I decided that [presidency] would be the best position fit for me.”

After the Spring 2016 Election sealed her office, Stamps is now turning promises into action plans. Armed with a three-component blueprint, here’s what we can expect from Ms. Stamps this coming year:

First, Stamps wants to increase graduation rates at Cal State LA, which lag far behind the rest of the CSU system. She suspects the root of this problem is the indecisiveness of students when it comes to finding and pursuing a major. As a result, Stamps wants to introduce an undeclared major Senator, who will help the undeclared student body by matching their passions to different majors. Stamps is working with Provost Lynn Mahoney to accomplish this.

Second, Stamps hopes to promote student success by starting a life after college initiative, which will prepare students for the real world. For example, the student representatives from the College of Arts and Letters brought in the president of NBC to speak to students on campus about his journey.

Stamps wants to bring student clubs and organizations together to network and provide new opportunities and programs for Cal State LA students outside of school. “Life after college is about your network. And your network starts with your school,” said Stamps. Finally, Stamps hopes to communicate with professors, deans and administrators to use their connections to generate opportunities for students. She proposes mixers and internships as ways for students to get more involved outside of schools.

Stamps states she couldn’t possibly achieve her goals for Cal State LA without her dream team: VP for Administration, Leopoldo Saldana, VP for Academic Governance, John Martinez, VP for Finance, Timothy Archinger, VP for External Affairs and Advancement, Marcos Montes, Secretary/Treasurer, Bonnie Lee, and all college representatives and senators.

“It’s really important for students to understand that the sky’s the limit, as cliche as that sounds. Go after what you want, don’t let fear, don’t let anything hold you back. This year, make it the best year. Utilize the resources that are on campus, utilize the student body, engage with your cohorts and classmates. Go out there and make it happen. Because we are CalState LA and we’re gonna make it happen.”

All in all, we can expect great things coming from Stamps and her team this coming year. With everyone’s support, we can make 2016-17 a year to remember.