Pokemon Go Health Walk complete success!

Cal State LA students show impressive Pokemon pride

Photo by Cal State LA

Photo by Cal State LA

Photo by Cal State LA

Pokémon Go Health Walk participants really caught ‘em all last week…or at least all the Pidgeys that the game has to offer. The plethora of Pidgeys, several Spearows, periodic Pidgeotto, aloof Pidgeot and one-of-a-kind Eddie the Eagle caused a flurry of feathers on campus last Wednesday. But besides birds, participating trainers caught Paras’, Zubats, Abras and an Electabuzz.

The event commenced at the Golden Eagle statue, where a costume contest was held for some Golden Eagle swag, judged by the one and only, Eddie the Eagle. Our college trainers really put their game on, coming decked out in their team colors and logos. One participant was bold enough to come wearing a Team Rocket badge (thankfully, he was caught and transferred to the nearest Pokémon Center for correction).

Even in the blistering heat, our very own Cal State LA mascot braved on, completing the entire walk and showing Cal State LA what trainer spirit really looked like. Some of the MindMatters authorities also attended. Vice President for Student Life, Nancy Wada-Mckee, lived up to her promise, completing the entire Walk alongside students. President William Covino and First Lady, Debbie Covino, also went full on their promises to attend the walk, visiting trainers at the Golden Eagle statue before they embarked on their walk.

“We know people will feel better inside when they’re feeling better outside. So physical well-being and inner well being go hand in hand,” said Covino. What better way to be physically active than to catch Pokémon?

Debbie Covino added, “One of our other goals is to make sure that our students know how many wonderful resources we have on campus for them to seek out someone to talk to if they feel they need to. But also engage in activities, such as this one, to help them continue to feel good.”

Robert Lopez, Executive Director for Communications and Public Affairs, said, “It’s all about student well-being because without student well-being there is no academic success. And we want our students to graduate, we want our students to go out and do great things, and we want our students to be excellent ambassadors and show the world the great things that Cal State LA is doing.”

The Pokémon Go Health Walk certainly achieved all this and more, uniting near strangers through a game we all know and love. One student described just how much he loved the game, “[I’ve been playing Pokémon Go] since two days after it came out. Because I had no memory space and I was just deleting stuff.”

This same student also expressed that he had been a fan of the Nintendo game as well, for “quite a while” playing Diamond version at 10. When asked if he would do the walk again, he responded, “Yes. But hopefully it’s not just Pidgeys.”

In the midst of trying to locate the elusive Horsea, another student said he had hunted around the University for Pokémon before the walk even came into existence. “I just scan for Pokémon on my phone,” he said.

Although most students were too absorbed in their phones to take footage of the event, a YouTuber by the name of Adam stepped up to the challenge. He supplied GoPro footage of the entire event, which can be viewed (in edited form) on his channel, Awesome Adam. For any YouTube junkies out there, Adam’s channel also features a few other Pokemon Go adventures worth checking out.

Cynthia Alvarez, who is the head of social media for the event, was satisfied with the turnout. She said, “We got some people who can take the time out of their day to get up and walk and play a popular game that everybody loves. People are talking to each other, so it’s creating a sense of community.”

Overall, it’s safe to say the walk was a complete success. Could Cal State LA be the new LB Pike or SM Pier? Find out by staying tuned for the next #MindMatters Health Walk.