Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Student Daniel Garza aids cyclist hit by automobile

Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Photo by Daniel Garza

Photo by Daniel Garza

Photo by Daniel Garza

What did you do this summer? Binge watch on Netflix? Maybe saw a superhero movie or two? Cal State LA Daniel Garza student took it a step further and became a hero by saving a human life.

On June 22 at around 2:00 pm, Garza was driving home from school on Valley Blvd, to take a nap before work, when the unexpected happened. “I see this guy coming across the street on his bicycle, and then I see a white pickup truck coming. The white pickup truck was not stopping and the guy in the bicycle was not paying attention, he had his headphones on. And the white pickup truck just *smack*. And he flew onto the hood of the truck and was pushed off when she [the pickup truck driver] stopped.” Versed in CPR and first-aid training, Garza reported going on autopilot, immediately turning off his car and jumping out yelling, “someone call 911.”

“When I arrived to him he was twitching and his body was twisted on the floor,” described Garza. Getting down on his knees, Garza noticed a puddle of blood emerging from under the cyclist’s head. So he turned the cyclist over into a sitting position to prevent the outward flow of blood and stayed with the man until firefighters arrived.

Garza vividly recounts how all the bystanders kept recording the scene instead of calling 911. “I looked up and I was like, ‘Did anyone call 911?’ And then people started taking out their phones and stopped recording to dial 911. And at that point I became very angry because this guy was dying and those people were over there recording, I don’t know if it was for Instagram or Snapchat.” When authorities arrived, they thanked Garza, cut the cyclist’s clothes off, doused him in alcohol and placed him on a stretcher. Garza was a hero.

So how did the Cal State LA Good Samaritan get his noble nature? “I have a really strong mother, and I was raised by her. She was always very loving to us, so I guess that’s where I get it from. And just being an athlete all my life and being coached by good coaches, who were always preaching for us to do the right thing.”

Growing up without a father and the eldest of three siblings, Garza has always been a leader. “I was the oldest so I was the leader growing up. And I guess being in sports; too, I was always usually the team captain,” said Garza. “I’ve had this responsibility to do what’s best for the team and what’s best for my brother and sister.”

Garza currently works as a personal trainer and exercise specialist at the Los Angeles Athletic Club, for which he is trained in CPR and first-aid.

As for peer-to-peer advice, Garza simply said, “Just try to do the right thing; don’t try to be cool and just stand back, or feel like if you do something out of the ordinary you’re going to be looked down upon or feel like people are going to outcast you. That goes in the classroom as well, not just saving people’s lives. A lot of people don’t want to be brave anymore and I think that’s a problem because we don’t have brave people to look up to.”

Garza continued his statement, saying, “I feel like sometimes the people that you feel are least likely to be the person who responds to a situation are the ones who do. They just don’t show it.”

Garza’s story shows that you do not have to be a superhero to save lives. All it takes is a good heart and a willingness to help others.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Police thankful for Good Samaritan”

1. Victor A. Garcia on March 3rd, 2017 4:19 am

That’s my Coach!

2. Victor A. Garcia on March 3rd, 2017 4:20 am

That’s my Coach¡

3. Victor A. Garcia on March 3rd, 2017 4:21 am

•.•

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Campus News

Upset Vote Sparks Protest Causing Admin Building to Go on Lockdown

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Campus News

Academic Senate Meeting Comes to an Abrupt End

• Campus News

Measles Exposure Leaves Hundreds Quarantined

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

The River That Connects Us All

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Long Live the Neighborhood Hero

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Pick Up Your Butts

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Equipping Women Through Self-Defense

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

A New Way to Dorm

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

ASI Votes No Confidence in Covino

• Police thankful for Good Samaritan

Special Meeting Scheduled by ASI for Removal of President Covino