Reliving Maestro of Pop: Richard Duardo

Clarissa Alana Romo

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-24-22-pm

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, Artist and Master Print Maker, Richard Duardo’s art is currently on display at the the Cal State LA Fine Arts Gallery. Duardo’s prints were key in Chicano art community and pop-culture icons. He was incredibly passionate about art and fine art screen printing and was very important in the LA art community.

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-24-49-pm

“I’m drawn to abstract art, so this is right up my alley, the whole juxtaposition of the flowers and the whole man made objects are what attracted me to this.” – Andres Langarica, 24, Art Major

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-25-04-pm

“HECHO EN AZTLAN” was the name of Duardo’s first print shop where he produced graphics and makes references to the ongoing formation of Chicano Culture.

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-25-21-pm

“It reminds me of my mom because she used to dress like that, it was a normality to dress like that back in the day, especially in the East LA community.” – Evelyn Chavez, 18, Criminal Justice Major

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-25-55-pm

“This is my favorite because it is incorporated in various cultures now a days, and it reminds me of my family gatherings when we play loteria.” – Victoria Angel, 18, Public Health Majorscreen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-27-57-pm

In the mid-1970’s, Duardo played a sizable role in the early Los Angeles Chicano punk scene. He supported young, energetic bands like “The Brats,” “Screamers” and  “The Plugz.”screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-28-40-pm

“She made a great Frida Kahlo in the movie!” – June Humphrey, Cal State LA Staff

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-29-13-pm

“Once referred to as the “Warhol of the West”, Duardo established a name for himself by producing prints of pop-culture icons.” – KCET

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-29-31-pm

Everything deserves a chance to be analyzed, not one piece outshines the other.” -Mark Franco, 19, Psychology Major