Peter Molyneux, brings the epic frontier to life on your cell phone.

Trendy new app The Trail will take you on awesome journey

Photo courtesy of idigitaltimes

Photo courtesy of idigitaltimes

Photo courtesy of idigitaltimes

Photo courtesy of idigitaltimes

Cristian Velez, Contributor

From the rise of Virtual Reality, to the popularity of Pokemon Go, many of us play games on more than one device, essentially changing the way the world thinks about gaming. One game aiming to further entice mobile device gamers is The Trail – A Frontier Journey.

What makes this app/game different from other games? For one, it is designed by legendary gamer Peter Molyneux. Molyneux’s previous games include Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Fable, Populous, and Godus.

Carter Dotson of gaming news outlet “TouchArcade” described the game, writing, “[The Trail] It has you walking along a trail to collect resources and to make it from camp to camp without tiring yourself out by traveling too fast and running out of energy. At camps, you can complete objectives you’ve been given, craft new items, and barter for goods. It’s an interesting mix of familiar elements with a game that’s seemingly about traveling through a gorgeous landscape.” Could this game be the next mobile game everyone will obsess over?

Even though Pokemon is a huge 90’s favorite, it came as a surprise when the app, Pokemon Go, did so well. People were hesitant at first to play, as the mobile gaming app was not the norm for a video game. When you think of video games, you picture sitting in front of a TV screen for hours, not excitedly walking around your neighborhood and beyond, hunting digital creatures. Rick Broida of Cnet.com described Pokemon Go as people’s “first taste of augmented reality.” Broida added, “Augmented gaming is game content overlaid on real-world images as displayed on your phone.”

Pokemon Go seemed to be revolutionizing gaming, as it got people off the couch and out into the real world. Now games like Peter Molyneux’s The Trail want to keep things simple. With a name like, The Trial, one can assume there might be walking. It has similar features as Pokemon Go. You just take away the Pokemon and replace them with treasures. Treasure you can trade. So the more you walk around in the game the more you progress, while in contrast to The Trail, the walking is all done in the game.

Key components of The Trail gameplay  include the “beautiful”, “relaxing”, and “make a fortune” features. The “beautiful” feature allows you to walk through different virtual landscapes, “ relaxing” allows you to swipe and drag with your thumb to move along “the trail”,  While “make a fortune” has you travelling to a new world to make your fortune. While you don’t have to do actual walking in The Trail. There is still much to explore.

Unlike Pokemon Go, The Trail is full of activities and objectives to keep it from becoming too dull. In Pokemon Go, catching the same kind of Pokemon can become unsatisfying. In The Trail you play explorer who sets off from home to settle down in the revered “Eden Falls.” Very similar to Pokemon Go where you pick a team, and set out explore and catch Pokemon. The gaming industry is always growing. “Ambitious design, big ideas and bold visions are what propel the games industry forward,” said Tadgh Kelly of “TechCrunch.”

The Trial is available for iPhone and Android users. Download The Trail and start building your community.