First Day in Trump’s Presidency

Trump withdrawal from TPP, Senate Cabinet Decisions, and Abortion Changes

Kyle Frizol, Intern

Opening his first full day as President, Donald Trump has already jumped ahead into his plans for the country. Yesterday morning, the president has backed the U.S. out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), signed a law forbidding federal tax dollars from being spent on international abortions, and has met with congressional leaders at the White House. Finally, Trump’s selected appointments for Secretary of State and CIA Director were made in the evening. What does all of this translate to for the country?

The biggest, and most immediate decision that Trump has made is in the form of the withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. The TTP agreement is a trade partnership between a dozen countries that has the intent of forming a closer economic and trade-based bond. However, Trump, and many other Republicans and Democrats, believe that the TPP was holding back the U.S. from fulfilling and gaining in its own domestic trade and production of goods. For the countries that are parts of the partnership –namely in the Asian-Pacific region including Japan and Singapore– uneasiness is beginning to grow. What was once former President Obama’s main means of combating China in global trade, President Trump’s feelings toward the partnership were addressed early on in his campaign over the last year. With his promise of withdrawing from the TPP back in 2015, Trump held to his word on his first day of office. The withdrawal from the TPP means that the U.S. will become less dependent on Asian-Pacific countries, which both directly and indirectly influence China, (who is not a member of the TPP). However, many are fearful that this means the U.S. will be losing out on key trade to these countries that they previously relied on for economic stability.

Following the policy that was enacted in the Reagan era, President Trump reinstated the law that U.S. Federal aid would no longer be allowed to finance international abortions. This decision was a result of Trump’s promise during his campaign to make international abortions federally opposed.

Lastly, the next wave of President Trump’s cabinet appointments faced Congress today. Rex Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil Chief Executive, was voted by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in a 11-10 decision to move his appointment to the full Senate. The final decision of his appointment will be announced next week on the Senate floor. Amidst the close 11-10 vote, Democratic concerns continue to grow as Tillerson faces the full Senate vote. Marco Rubio, the Republican Senator from Florida, had the opportunity to tie the Committee vote, but made the decision to support Tillerson after initial uneasiness in his intentions. Mike Pompeo, Trump’s decision for CIA Chief, was approved by the Senate in a vote of 66-32. Thus far, Trump’s cabinet decisions have been approved by the Senate, even amidst doubts and concerns from both Republicans and Democrats.