Cal State LA honored as a Healthy Campus

Students take on Healthy Campus Challenge

First Lady Michelle Obama joins representative from Healthy Campus Challenge winning schools for a group photo during the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Healthy Campus Challenger Winner Day in the East Room of the White House, Jan 13, 2017. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

This photograph is provided by THE WHITE HOUSE as a courtesy and may be printed by the subject(s) in the photograph for personal use only. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not otherwise be reproduced, disseminated or broadcast, without the written permission of the White House Photo Office. This photograph may not be used in any commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

First Lady Michelle Obama joins representative from Healthy Campus Challenge winning schools for a group photo during the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Healthy Campus Challenger Winner Day in the East Room of the White House, Jan 13, 2017. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson) This photograph is provided by THE WHITE HOUSE as a courtesy and may be printed by the subject(s) in the photograph for personal use only. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not otherwise be reproduced, disseminated or broadcast, without the written permission of the White House Photo Office. This photograph may not be used in any commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

The White House

The White House

Carlos Gomez, Web Editor

Student health is an important aspect that affects the overall achievement in education. With the reformed health care by President Obama, now is the perfect time for people to get health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. However, many people who qualify for coverage have not yet enrolled in a healthcare plan.

The 2016 Healthy Campus Challenge was launched after the success of the 2015 White House Healthy Communities Challenge. According to whitehouse.gov, the Healthy Communities Challenge achieved almost 38,000 individual sign-ups for health insurance solely through the organization which won the challenge.

For the Healthy Campus Challenge, schools had to complete Open Enrollment Outreach Actions that were outlined on the White House website. These actions contained, but were not limited to, conducting in-person enrollment activities and reaching individuals through social media and/or community leaders.

To represent Cal State LA, Dr. Walter Zelman, professor and expert on California Government and Politics and Health Policy traveled to Washington, D.C. on Friday, January 13th, with Giovanna Mason Hing and Jessica Chavez, both Public Health major students.

An event was held to honor colleges that completed their Open Enrollment Outreach Actions, which was live streamed for everyone to watch their fellow students and faculty get awarded. Colleges from around the nation were presented with a certificate in the famous Eisenhower Executive Building, and were thanked by Valerie Jarrett, Bess Evans, and Kristie Canegallo, who formerly served under the Obama Administration. Afterwards, faculty and students were escorted to see the former First Lady Michelle Obama in the White House.

Giovanna, who is the Vice President of Cal State LA’s Public Health Student Association, remembers the moment when she saw Michelle. “When Michelle Obama walked into the room, we were all filled with joy and sadness. I just remember her poise, her humility and the sincerity behind each motivational word she spoke.”

If you have not enrolled for health care under the Affordable Care act, the open enrollment period ends on Tuesday, January 31st.