Cal State LA Ranked Top University for Upward mobility

Eddie the Eagle

Eddie the Eagle

J. Aaron Delgado

Eddie the Eagle

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Eddie the Eagle

Enron Franklin, Copy Editor

A recent study by the Equality of Opportunity Project, ranked California State University, Los Angeles the number one university in the nation for upward mobility of its students. Pace University in New York was in second place, followed SUNY University at Stony Brooke.

The study was published in the New York Times and highlighted the power mid-tier public universities and colleges may offer in providing a foundation to boost students who typically come from low income households to the top twenty percent of income earners in the nation.

When the mid-tier universities, such City University of New York and The CSU system, are matched up against Ivy Leagues like Harvard, Yale or Princeton or “elite private institutions” like Stanford or Johns Hopkins, Cal State LA still performs well because the study is based on student access to the institution and student success.

According the studies abstract, “Mid-tier public universities such as the City University of New York and California State colleges tend to have the highest rates of bottom-to-top quintile mobility,” this was the result of a study that span nearly 15 years, which included millions of student. “We characterize rates of intergenerational income mobility at each college in the United States using administrative data for over 30 million college students from 1999-2013.”

The University administration sees the study as confirmation of the ability Cal State LA has in transforming its students. “This research confirms that Cal State LA provides a transformative educational experience,” said University President Covino.

“Our outstanding faculty and staff understand well the transformative role of public universities.  They know what is needed to take students from where they are, to where they need to be,” said University Provost Lynn Mahoney.

Many alumni who became apprised of the study’s results, weighed in on social media to highlight the ways in which the university contributed to their career success.

“Wonderful. I graduated in 1987 with a bachelors in Social Work, went on to Berkeley for my Masters in Social Welfare,” wrote Maria Quintanilla, “I now run Latino Family Institute, a nonprofit adoption and foster care agency in West Covina. For the past four years I’ve been teaching graduate Social Work students at Cal State Long Beach. Indeed I have come a long way from my barrio of South Central Los Angeles. Eternally grateful.”

A common theme mentioned by alumni is the impact the faulty has had on their success and although there are no facts or figures to prove it true Provost Mahoney agrees and is confident that Cal State LA faculty understands their purpose in the lives of students, “Our outstanding faculty and staff understand well the transformative role of public universities.  They know what is needed to take students from where they are, to where they need to be.”

Although the study findings name mid-tier universities as the best institutions for upward mobility, a pre-doctoral research fellow who was involved with the study, told the Christian Science Monitor, “What we’ve seen is that the colleges that we identify as being very good by our metric, which in many cases includes these mid-tier public schools are in most cases declining in terms of access,” said Robert Fluegge of Stanford University, “They’ve seen the proportion of poor students decline pretty substantially, and I think that that’s a bit worrisome, given that these are the colleges that are really doing well for poor students.”

About the Photographer
1 Comment

One Response to “Cal State LA Ranked Top University for Upward mobility”

1. Erika Zambrano on March 1st, 2017 1:44 pm

So proud of CSULA.
    Paths to academic success- a research project at CSULA psychology lab, examined different variables such as students’ academic self-efficacy, well being, social support, gpa, college persistence.

I need to take a look at the dataset, perhaps the college persistence scale, which included questions relating to students experience and the education received at CSULA can give us an insight of student and faculty academic lifestyles.

• Campus News

Measles Exposure Leaves Hundreds Quarantined

• Cal State LA Ranked Top University for Upward mobility

Headlines

Letter From the Editor

Headlines

Letter From the Editor

Letter From the Editor

Editor-in-Chief Addresses

Headlines

Hi Golden Eagles!

Headlines

Letter From The Editor

Grab ‘em by the Presidency: The Female 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

Headlines

Letter From The Editor

• Campus News

Settlement Reached between University and Former Athletic Administrator