Trump’s Orders Evoke Uneasiness

Trump’s controversial executive actions harbor mixed feelings

President Donald J. Trump signing executive orders

Facebook - Donald J. Trump

Facebook - Donald J. Trump

Kyle Frizol, Intern

In the first full week of his presidency, Trump has backed the U.S. out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), signed a law forbidding federal tax dollars from being spent on international abortions, and met with congressional leaders at the White House.

On Wednesday, President Trump cast executive action in his decision to continue supporting the funding and construction of a large border wall between Mexico and the U.S. Trump also formalized his cabinet positions, advanced the repeal for the Affordable Care Act, reinstated actions to build nationwide oil pipelines, met with military leaders to discuss plans to rebuild the military, and created an order to enforce vetting measures for Muslim Americans. What does all of this translate to for the country?

First of all, Trump’s withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership signified the first major executive decision of his presidency. The TTP agreement is a trade partnership between a dozen countries that has the intent of forming a closer economic and trade-based bond. However, Trump, and many other Republicans and Democrats, believe that the TPP was holding back the U.S. from fulfilling and gaining its own domestic trade and production of goods. For the countries that are a part of the partnership, primarily in the Asian-Pacific region, including Japan and Singapore – uneasiness is beginning to grow. This was once former President Obama’s central means of combating China in global trade. President Trump’s feelings toward the partnership were addressed early on in his campaign for Presidency over the last year. With his promise of withdrawing from the TPP back in 2015, Trump held to his word and did just that, all on his first day of office. The withdrawal from the TPP means that the U.S. will become less dependent on Asian-Pacific countries, which both directly and indirectly influence China, who is not a member of the TPP. However, many are fearful that this means the U.S. will be losing out on key trade to these countries that they previously relied on for economic stability.

Following the policy that was enacted in the Reagan era, President Trump reinstated the law that would inhibit U.S. Federal aid for international abortions. Also, he jumped immediately into repealing the Affordable Care Act, which Obama had worked on for much of his presidency, which came as little shock to the majority of politicians across party-lines.

Next, the majority of President Trump’s cabinet appointments faced Congress and were sworn in. Rex Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil Chief Executive, was voted by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in a 11-10 decision to move his appointment to the full senate. The final decision of his appointment will be announced next week on the senate floor. Amid the close 11-10 vote, Democratic concerns continue to grow as Tillerson faces the full senate vote. Marco Rubio, the Republican Senator from Florida, had the opportunity to tie the Committee vote, but made the decision to support Tillerson after initial uneasiness in his intentions.

Mike Pompeo, Trump’s pick for CIA Chief, was approved by the senate in a vote of 66-32. Thus far, Trump’s cabinet decisions have been approved by the senate, even amidst doubts and concerns from both Republicans and Democrats.

Trump’s Wednesday agenda consisted of numerous actions. The foremost of which was his executive order that set in motion an elaborate plan to both secure and begin constructing the plans and means necessary to build his promised border wall. Immediately, the politicians and lobbyists of Mexico and the U.S. began to feel the threat of tension built as they witnessed Trump continue to follow through on his campaign promises. The most significant reaction was that of Mexican President, Enrique Pena Nieto. This was in result to Trump’s reassurance of Mexico’s cooperation in paying for the wall entirely, alongside worry that Trump may very well succeed in deporting and separating the two countries from each other entirely on all fronts, including trade, protection, and military support. His early decision to follow through with his intentions signified the start of an uncertain presidency that left politicians worldwide wondering to what extent Trump would go in fulfilling his controversial goals, especially considering the now deeply influenced Republican majority Congress working alongside Trump.

Continually, Trump signed the executive orders to continue investigating and creating a plan to construct oil pipelines throughout the country. This, amidst previous conflict and resistance by many, harbored fear amongst lobbyists and environmentalists that have fought for months against Obama’s original plan that has since evolved into a Trump policy.

As of Friday, President Trump continued along his strict path of fulfilling his campaign promises, and enacted his executive order to tighten the vetting process in the United States. His goal, to prevent radical Islamic terrorists from gaining access to the U.S, which he plans to achieve through suspension of immigration in terrorist-prone countries. “We don’t want them here. We want to make sure that we are not admitting into our country the very threats our soldiers are fighting overseas,” Trump said.

Lastly, Trump visited the Pentagon to both attend the swearing in of his defense secretary, Gen. James Mattis, and to sign an executive order to begin rebuilding the U.S. military. The significance of order specifically would, according to Trump, create, “…a great rebuilding of the armed services of the United States.”

Thus far, Trump has strictly adhered to the promises that he made throughout his highly controversial campaign, which has created a mixture of support and growing uneasiness as the President has only served one week and has ordered more action than any of his predecessors in modern memory.