Do You Want to Get Elected?

ASI Prepares Students Running for Office

Upcoming ASI election information

Upcoming ASI election information

Juan J Palma

Juan J Palma

Upcoming ASI election information

Miguel Arriola, Intern

This past Wednesday, Jan. 23, the Cal State LA Student Union’s third floor Alhambra Room was the site for an Associated Students Inc. Election Info Session. It was the first of at least three planned sessions. “We advocate for the students and help students develop their leadership skills” said Elizabeth Lechtholz-Zey, the event organizer and head of the Election Committee.

These friendly and informal events occur before every student government election.  Their purpose is to familiarize those interested in representing their fellow students in matters relevant to the university’s administration, while introducing the process and rules of running for an ASI office. Students are guided through the ASI website which details information about ASI and how to begin a campaign for office through the online application. Students are also told about pre-campaigning, submitting a Letter of Intent, and what sort of online, and grassroots advertising they can do before the start of an official campaign cycle.

Among the positions available to prospective candidates are President, Academic Senator, and Chief Justice. Additionally, the Vice-Presidential of Finance, Academic Governance, Administration, and External Affairs and Advancement are also available.  

The Chief Justice heads the By-Laws and Codes of Procedures Committee as well as the Judicial Affairs Committee. His or her duties include the handling of conflicts of interest and election related grievances like spending too much or placing campaign advertisements where the rules prohibit.

The Vice-President of Finance chairs the Finance Committee and deals with things like club funding, which is a primary responsibility of ASI. All elected or appointed offices are held for one academic year and there is no limit on how many times one can run for an office. Additionally, these are paid positions and there is also good upward mobility within ASI as.

“Typically, people move up…you don’t really move down” said Lechtholz-Zey.  

Those who get involved in ASI and remain have the opportunity to develop various administrative skills and a an in depth look at social issues facing students. Currently, the pressing issue being addressed by ASI is the potential rise in tuition costs.

The development of political experience and leadership skills is certainly in high demand in the current national political atmosphere. These positions can be a first step for students seeking to involve themselves in local politics beyond the university.  

In discussing what kinds of students enter the elections, Lechtholz-Zey praised the efforts of current ASI President Kayla Stamps, “She came here, she knew what she wanted to do, and she’s getting it done.”

Whether fresh-faced and idealistic, or experienced in university life and involved in clubs or athletics, ASI is a chance for students to influence their educational environment and make a difference for the better.  Along with contributing to the improvement of the college experience of others, there is also ample opportunity for personal growth and networking.  Students seeking to run for office must be enrolled at CSULA for at least one semester.  

Further information can be obtained by contacting the Elections and Orientation Commissioner via the email at: asieoc@calstatela.edu. Applications are due Feb. 09, 2017.