What’s Your Plan After College? ASI Can Help

ASI launches career planning pilot program for students

Miguel Arriola, Intern

The student government (ASI) is launching a pilot program known as “Life After College”. ASI President Kayla Stamps describes the initiative as “an accelerated preparatory program that essentially provides career development resources, mentorship, and exclusive networking and training opportunities for those who are enrolled.”  The program hopes to create a “campus holistic partnership” which includes: stakeholders such as the City of Los Angeles, the university administration, faculty, the Career Center, the Alumni Association, and notable alumni such as Special Assistant City Attorney Capri Maddox. These people and organizations will coordinate a combined effort to improve student career opportunities after graduation.

One major long-term goal of the program is for it to secure a strong partnership with employers, that allows students who complete the program to be examined by those employers with increased interest and confidence in the student’s abilities.  The aim is to increase the prestige of Cal State LA graduates among hiring firms.  Students in the program will also have access to notable alumni at organized events that would normally be exclusively for the Alumni Association.  One such event taking place March 30, is even offering transportation to the venue for Life After College members.

Typically, the Career Center has generally been tasked with providing students with initial career development support.  Counselors there aid students by teaching them how to put their resumes together, as well as by conducting preparatory mock interviews.  Students can make appointments or walk in and ask quick questions, and written information about various careers is available.  The Career Center also has a job search database and hosts information sessions for companies and entities like Google, NASA, and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.  According to a student assistant at the front desk, the office may see an average of thirty to fifty student visitors per day with some days exceeding that range.  Thus, Cal State LA students now have access to two sources of career development information and support tools.  

As mentioned, the Career Center provides introductory career development aid like training in resume writing and mock interviews.  Still, students may not be successful in finding a job.  When explaining why ASI is launching its own career development program, Kayla Stamps relates that she would visit classrooms and ask, “Raise your hands if you are Juniors and Seniors? How many of you have jobs lined up after graduation?”  She goes on to explain, “You would see a bunch of hands go down, and we were doing that in huge lecture halls when we were campaigning.”  Stamps believes it is important to research why so many hands would go down when she asked those questions.  

Knowing why those hands go down could certainly contribute to improving the success rate of matching students with relevant career opportunities, both within the Career Center and the new ASI program.  It is hoped that in the long-term, the ASI program will yield data that explains the variables of why students have trouble finding jobs after college.  Furthermore, it is hoped that the pilot program will bridge the way for a more concrete program in the future.  ASI will be hosting orientation meetings for Life After College in the coming weeks.