Every Day is Earth Day

Interactive activities and friendly organization educate students on sustainable living

How do you think green?

How do you think green?

Cara Gonzalez

Cara Gonzalez

How do you think green?

Janice Peregrina, Staff Reporter

The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) welcomed Spring with a focus on clean, sustainable living with “Think Green,” a small festival held in the the University Student Union (U-SU) Plaza celebrating and promoting environmental consciousness. “Think Green” was part of Cal State LA’s new Eagles Care series, where CSI organizes events centered around charitable causes. Booths representing several green organizations providing useful information, school-sponsored games and giveaways, and a DIY seed booth were featured at this event.

There were several groups from local organizations set up for the event, including the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, City LA Storm Water, and Trash Free Earth. Each booth had a few representatives distributing helpful informations and tips to interested students. City LA Storm Water stressed making sure to keep our storm drains clear, especially from pet waste that isn’t cleaned up from streets and lawns.

The Dept. of LA Water and Power focused on all sorts of water-saving techniques people can employ. “What we’re talking about here is sustainability of water and power,” said a representative from LA Dept. of Water and Power. “Some specific things like reminding people to unplug their appliances.” She also mentioned that the most water waste in LA is due to outdoor use, and that limiting lawn watering and switching to drought-resistant plants are some of the most effective changes people can employ at the local level. The LA Dept. of Water and Power was handing out water-saving shower heads as well. The heads are able to completely shut off during a shower, enabling users to save on water when “soaking up at shampooing.”

The representative was very passionate about her job for over 28 years, and derived personal well-being from knowing her actions produced positive results. “I get to make sure that the water is safe for a little over four million people to drink, and it makes me feel really good.”

Trash Free Earth had their booth set up with photos from their latest green escapades and information about their nonprofit. Trash Free Earth is a newer organization that “educates communities about the impact of trash on our environment,” according to their website. Alma Tovar, resident photographer and active volunteer for the organization, spoke about how lately they’ve been organizing “eco hikes” where attendees can hike trails and pick up trash along the way. Trash Free Earth also welcomes children who are interested in the environment. Tovar talked about how at their last eco hike that “[they] worked with like over twenty kids, got to talk to them.” They also have kid-friendly “lesson days,” and a hand puppet “little sea turtle mascot.”

Trash Free Earth’s booth had a station where interested students could sign up to be a volunteer, or write an “eco-wish” on a paper bulletin board.

The DIY seed pot station was very popular with students. People lined up at each station and left with a little seed pot of their own to either keep or replant. You started by taking a biodegradable seed pot, then adding a soil pellet wrapped in biodegradable mesh. By adding a little bit of water, the pellet would expand and break apart the mesh into a contained, even texture. There were three mixes of wildflower seeds to choose from. One attracted butterflies and birds, one with honey source plants, and one called “Bee Rescue,” which contained a mix of nectar and pollen producing plants to feed these important assets to our ecosystem.

With fun green-themed games, helpful information from dedicated nonprofits, and an interactive planting workshop, Think Green was a welcome addition to the Eagles Care series and to the environment.