The 2017 ASI Election Results

The Associated Students have a new president

David Zitser

ASI

David Zitser

Erron Franklin, Copy Editor

On Thursday afternoon in the University-Student Union plaza, the elections results for Associated Students Incorporated were announced and students applauded the new and returning campus leaders. The student body now has a new spokesperson, President Elect David Zitser. The presidential race garnered the most votes with approximately 1100 students casting ballots for two hopefuls for the top spot.

Zitser will finish his term as College Representative for the Natural & Social Sciences before being sworn in as the new President of ASI. He will now be representing and speaking on behalfof a diverse student body with differing views but he is excited nonetheless.

“I’m very excited for what’s to come next year, and I can’t wait to get started. I realize that the students are relying on my team and me to advocate for them on several issues, but I’m confident  that we will accomplish our goals in representing the student body,” Zitser said.

The President Elect’s inauguration will take place on Tuesday, June 20 at the University-Student Union. During his first month in office, his focus will be on recruiting students who are dedicated to service. “During my first 30 days, which start in the Summer, I plan on building up the A.S.I. team by recruiting students who are dedicated to serving the Cal State LA Community. That includes filling up the many University Committees which are essentially the way that A.S.I. represents the Student Voice.”

Zitser will pay special attention and exhaust all avenues to reach Cal State LA Students. “I believe that I can only make progress on such a task by first building and fortifying the networks that connect A.S.I. to the student body such as the Club Councils, our A.S.I. Lobby Corps, more events that allows us to reach out to students, etc.,” said Zitser.

The Vice President for Administration is charged with coordinating the activities of all administrative units and presiding over the Cabinet Commissioners. Approximately a thousand people voted and elected Political Science major David Garcia into office. Garcia, like Zitser, is also a College Representative for the Natural and Social Sciences, who has learned from his current position and plans to use that as the new VP.

“It’s important to direct ASI in a good direction where we are providing the best services, best resources for the students. We need public agencies to provide internships for students,” said Garcia.

The other Executive Board members elected into office are as follows: Neyda Umana as Vice President for Academic Governance; Timothy Achinger as Vice President for Finance; Marcos Montes as Vice President for External Affairs and Advancement; and Jazmin Ortiz as Secretary/Treasurer.

In a statement read during the Elections Announcement Party, elections officials expressed their praise and thanked all who participated in the process. “The Elections Commissions and [Judicial Review Committee] JRC would like to thank all of the candidates for their efforts to increase student involvement in the General Elections process.”

All the newly elected candidates will participate in a mandatory ASI Winners Roundtable Friday, May 5. Summer Training for the new campus leaders begins Tuesday, June 13 and will continue until August 14.