Sorry Kid, They Don’t Advertise That On the White House

Trump admits that this job is harder than he thought

Marrian Zhou, Editor in Chief

Saturday, April 30 marks the 100th day of Trump’s presidency. According to NBC News, Trump has signed 29 executive orders, 28 pieces of legislation into law, confirmed 25 appointees, one Supreme Court nominee, and so far received an overall job-approval rating of 40 percent. In an interview with Reuters, Trump expressed that being the President of an entire nation was, surprisingly, more difficult than he thought. “This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier.”

As shiny and sparkly as the White House might look, apparently they don’t tell you how much responsibility and complexity the title of “President of the United States” comes with. It is actually a lot more than just on-camera opportunities, dining with foreign diplomats, smoking cigars with your home boys, and having the whole golf course to yourself. After all, you do have to run an entire country and make actual progresses. Bummer.

The New York Times credited Trump’s first 100 days as “the least successful first 100 days since the concept existed.” Perhaps nobody wants to get out of the White House as much as President Trump right now, but there’s just so much more work compared  to being a businessman who inherited everything from a development mogul father. With Trump himself being the most powerful man in the U.S. at the moment, and a very red Washington D.C., he actually hasn’t made much progress with his administration.

President Trump might be clueless as to why people are so angry every time he tries something. Look at the new tax reform proposal, which was supposed to be his strength and priority. The proposal reduced tax rates for large and small businesses to 15 percent, and the individual income tax brackets would shrink from seven to three- 10, 25, and 35 percent, according to New York Times. It will also eliminate the estate tax and alternative minimum tax, which was used to limit the wealthy, including Trump himself who paid “$31 million under the alternative minimum tax [in 2005],” which is enough money to send 730 students through public high schools, calculated according to NPR’s data.

Corporations also don’t have to pay taxes on their foreign profits. According to CTV News’ map, President Trump owns 17 domestic properties and seven international properties spreading through North and South America, the Middle East, and Asia. Just imagine how many millions and billions of dollars Trump and his pals will save if this proposal is passed. Perhaps only one percent of Americans would not be angry about this.

The Trump administration is also attempting to revive the American Health Care Act, which failed miserably in March. The new proposal will “allow states to waive three big Obamacare rules,” according to New York Times. The three rules include: Obamacare keeps insurance to a minimum standard and make it useful for people who need it, its “community rating” prevents people with existing conditions from being charged more than healthy customers, and its “age rating” lowers premiums for the elders.

States could pursue waivers of the above rules but they would be required to have special programs for high-cost patients. Either way, if this proposal is passed, any state will have the chance to waive these rules and a considerable population will lose affordable health care.

Don’t even get started on the wall. Trump might not have found his funding source for this massive wall yet, and he might never find one. But the Department of Homeland Security apparently has already started planning for building more detention centers and hiring more Customs and Border Patrol officers.

According to the Washington Post, “the agency has already found 33,000 more detention beds to house undocumented immigrants… speed up the hiring of hundreds of new [officers], including ending polygraph and physical fitness tests in some cases.” Although undocumented immigrants are not criminals, somehow Trump’s administration decided to put everybody in jail and employ more less trained officers. Doesn’t it just make so much sense?

The Post also mentioned, “Republican leaders have proposed delaying a decision on Trump’s initial request of $1.5 billion for the wall and an additional $2.6 billion for more border security next year.” Big talk on lowering the US’s debt yet adding so much more to it, perhaps Trump lost his calculator on the golf course.  

In addition to all the scandals and executive-orders-gone-wrong, Trump’s administration is still under staffed. According to New York Times, President Trump has made 50 nominations for the executive branch, where there are 553 positions that need to be filled. The bad thing about this would be obvious – he doesn’t have enough people to push forward his priorities. However, this could also be a silver lining if you look back on his policies.

So there you have it, President Trump’s first 100 days of hardship in a nutshell. Probably the most hardship he has ever experienced in his entire life. Boo hoo.