This is What Real Artists Do

26th Conservatory of Fine Arts Exhibition 2017 kicks off at Cal State LA

Examples of the artwork featured in the Gallery

Instagram

Instagram

Sylvia Valdez, Intern

The busy halls were an indication of all the proud parents who came out to support their talented children. Parents proudly smiled ear to ear as they admired the artwork that lined Cal State LA’s Fine Arts Gallery. The University hosted the 26th Conservatory of Fine Arts Exhibition 2017.

The goal of the gifted/talented programs is to identify gifted and talented students, including those from diverse racial, socioeconomic, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds, and provide high-quality differentiated opportunities for learning that meet students’ particular abilities and talents.

The walls were draped with student work from grades 3-12th. From sketches, to cut-outs from magazines, acrylic painting, to charcoal painting, and more, the gallery was homage to students’ hard work and passion. Proud parents squeezed their children tightly, to the point of pain, to show their gratification. Every child had a twinkle in their eye and undeniably firm smile as their got their picture taken next to their work.  

“On October 1st by registering more than 650 students for classes in visual arts, dance, dramatic arts, and vocal music. This 24-week Saturday morning instructional program, offered on the campus of California State University Los Angeles, through Gifted/Talented Programs, is open to third through twelfth grade LAUSD students who have been identified as talented in the arts or recommended by their regular schools,” as posted on the LASUD website. Although the conservatory has been around since ‘81, they’ve been working with Cal State LA since 1985.

University Times had the pleasure of speaking briefly, with the onsite Administrator for the Conservatory of Fine Arts, Laroyce Bell. When asked about the turn out of the event, she responded quite enthused, “because it’s at the gallery, it gets to show off the work of the kids. We’re all just blown away about how wonderful it is. We’re very grateful to Cal State LA and MICA and working together and offering the gallery, and the band!” When asked how this event will impact a student’s life she has this to say, “this is what real artists do. This is how they display their work, and when the students and parents see their work displayed in this environment, it’s an impetus for them to continue, it’s a catalyst to keep doing their work.”

After suffering from a budget cut, Bell remains hopeful. “We raise money, our parents raise money and they have great ideas.” Some of those ideas include: creating calendars made from student’s art, including more student work, and having more coverage [press] for the event.

If you know someone with a passion for art or performance art, enroll them! To learn more information about the program, go to http://achieve.lausd.net