Golden Eagles Baseball Makes A Comeback

Golden Eagles overtake San Marcos on Senior Day

The Golden Eagle Baseball team on the field

Juan J Palma

Juan J Palma

Edward Saldana, Contributor

It was Senior Day and Star Wars Day for the Golden Eagles baseball team. They won in a dramatic fashion; 13-12 against the Cal State San Marcos Cougars. Twelve seniors were honored before game with their families alongside them. For the fans, it was a game to remember. Going into the game, the Golden Eagles had a record of 23-21 with a 16-18 record in Conference Play. They were riding a three-game winning streak. They took three out of four against ranked UC San Diego and with that, they qualified for the CCAA Tournament on May 10, in Stockton, California.  

First Baseman Jorge Garcia, who went 3-5 with 2 RBIs, got things started with a solo home run in the second inning. This gave the Golden Eagles the lead. When it came to the bottom half of the fifth inning, the Golden Eagles found themselves trailing 6-1. Golden Eagles pitcher Nate Adams played 4.1 innings,  allowing five runs with one strikeout. Senior Second Baseman Angel Sanchez cut the lead to two, with a crucial three-run home run. This was his first home run in his college career. “Oh man, I was talking to my teammates about it before the game, four years with no home runs and it was just amazing.” Sanchez went 2-5 with 4 RBIs including that three-run home run. The Golden Eagles found themselves again down when it came to the bottom of the seventh inning; the score was 10-4. This didn’t faze the Golden Eagles as they were able to have a seven-run rally to take a 11-10 lead over the San Marcos.

After eight innings, the score was nodded up at 12. Both schools needed extra innings to settle this. The Golden Eagles had their chances in the bottom of the 10th and 11th innings. It wasn’t until the 12th inning where the comeback was complete. Nic Berenaud, who came into the game as pinch hitter, hit a walk-off double and helped drive  the winning run for the Golden Eagles to win 13-12. The players stormed the field in celebration as they dogpiled Berenaud and drenched him with water. It was an exciting time for his college career. “With Angel being in scoring position, I was looking for a pitch in the middle. I just tried to hit hard somewhere, after it leaves your bat you can’t really control it, so I was just looking for a good pitch to hit.” He finished the night 1-2 with the game winning RBI.

With this win, the Golden Eagles improved their record to 24-21. There have been a lot of ups and downs for the baseball team. They ended their eight-game losing streak to UC San Diego. Now they have a winning streak of their own. It is a four-game winning streak heading to the final home game against Cal State San Marcos Cougars. They will play Friday May 5 at Reeder Field. They will travel to San Marcos to play a doubleheader on Saturday May 6, to end the regular season.