US Widening Income Gap Hits Close to Home

Covino Salary 2nd Highest of CSU Presidents

President William Covino Salary from 2013 to 2016

Sacramento Bee State Employee Salary Database

Ani Nalbandian, Copy Editor

According to California public records, President William Covino was paid an astounding $392 thousand in 2016, while some Cal State LA faculties could have potentially qualified for food stamps. Covino’s salary is the second highest of all CSU presidents, closely behind the President of CSU East Bay who made $395 thousand in 2016.

The CSU Board of Trustees Agendas lists Covino’s 2016 base salary as $320 thousand; however the Sacramento Bee’s State Salaries Database lists the President’s bonus at approximately $72 thousand. Covino’s salary made its biggest jump from 2013 to 2014, when it was raised $287 thousand.

The average salary of a CSU President in 2016 was $316 thousand, nearly $80 thousand less than President Covino. CSU President salaries do not include housing, transportation or travel costs.

Covino’s total salary of $392 thousand is slightly below Chancellor White’s which stood at $439 thousand in 2016. This is surprising to say the least considering Chancellor White is responsible for 23 CSU campuses, whereas President Covino is responsible for one CSU campus.

From 2012 to 2016, the CSU PIMS database reported that 1051 faculty members at CSULA were Lecturers. The California Faculty Association (CFA) in Sacramento reports the average Full-Time CSU Lecturer salary as $56,781 in 2015. Chancellor White’s Office published Fall 2015’s “The Employees of California State University,” which listed Cal State LA’s part-time faculty at about 56 percent.

This means that 56 percent of faculty members are making less than $56 thousand a year, many under $25 thousand, with little to no support from Teacher’s Assistants or Peer Mentors. California’s qualification for food stamps is $23,760 a year, which would qualify certain Professors or “Lecturers” for this social service.

There is little incentive for good educators to become faculty at Cal State LA based on the salaries that the University is willing to pay. This problem was outlined in a report published by the CSU Academic Senate in 2005. The report states that, “The CSU faces serious constraints on its ability to recruit and retain a faculty of high quality during the coming decade because of the serious and continuing lag of CSU salaries behind those of comparable institutions and excessive California housing costs.”

The Los Angeles Times recently criticized the number of CSU managers that are hired as well. According to the CFA analysis of CSU Management Personnel Database, Cal State LA has seen the second largest increase in managers out of all CSU’s since 2012. An approximate 52 percent increase brings the total number of CSULA managers to 198 positions.

A database published by the CSU reports that the salary range for CSULA management in 2016 was $48 thousand to $259 thousand. Some part-time “Lecturers” at Cal State LA make half of the lowest paid Manager. The highest paid Manager at Cal State LA in 2016 was Daryl Gross, former Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. Gross’ salary was nearly five times that of the highest paid Cal State LA Lecturer.

If you would like to express your concerns regarding the salaries of your professors, you can contact the California Faculty Association at (916) 441-4848 or Chancellor White’s office at (562) 951-4000.