You’re Fired!

President Trump Terminates FBI Director James Comey amid growing Russia investigations

Former FBI Director James B. Comey _ Federal Bureau of Investigation

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Kyle Frizol, Intern

Last Tuesday, May 9, President Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, the man responsible and most recently recognizable as the individual who developed two investigations into Hillary Clinton’s email scandal, and  the most recent investigation of Trump’s Cabinets’ involvement with Russia. The involvement  in interference of the 2016 presidential election. News of Comey’s departure created a shockwave throughout D.C. as both party lines questioned  the decision process in firing Comey.

Director Comey, who was once seen as, “the unimpeachable and nonpartisan ideal of how a law enforcement officer should behave,” (CNN), was depicted as a FBI director who was both equal and unbiased in his examination of political figures on both Democratic and Republican lines. However, as the turmoil of the 2016 Presidential election unfolded and Comey found himself tangled amidst the scandals and allegations of Clinton and Trump, his reputation began to tarnish, resulting in decreased reassurance and faith from  the general public.

Specifically, eleven days before the 2016 presidential election, Comey had announced that the FBI was reopening its case on Clinton’s mishandling of classified information based on the premise of additional emails surfacing. As the original investigation had closed and Comey announced there would be no charges, “extreme carelessness”, was noted in his preceding comments; reopening seemed more of a political tactic rather than an actual FBI-warranted investigation. As Clinton was still recovering from past allegations and  the uncertainty of whether she would be indicted or not, reopening the investigation with a little over a week before the 2016 election meant that Clinton’s face would receive  criticism, while others  would favor Trump. As of today, many still believe that Trump’s victory was influenced by Comey’s decision to reopen the investigation.

Knowledge of Comey’s Director-decisions involuntarily increased Trump’s popularity at a time when voters were beginning to draw their final decisions. However, with Comey being voted by the candidate that benefited the most from his presence, the questions of why Trump decided to fire Comey is still foggy and incoherent.

As of today, Trump has defended the firing of Comey, who was at the time still leading the ongoing investigation of Russian Probes in the U.S. 2016 Election.

“I was going to fire Comey – my decision. There is no good time to do it…By the way, I was going to do it regardless of recommendation.”

Trump’s intention to fire Comey regardless of what his attorney general recommended, alongside the reality that Comey’s continuing investigation into Russia’s interference with the U.S. election, leaves Trump’s decision process under suspicion.

The decision to terminate an FBI director without the recommendation or support of anybody in his cabinet; specifically those whose job it is to do such research and recommendation (i.e. the attorney general), portrays an agenda that fueled Trump’s sudden haste in firing Comey. Is it his uneasiness of the continuing Russia investigation, which Comey displayed no sign of allegiance to Trump’s presidential security, pressuring him to make a move?

Just recently, Comey had asked the Justice Department for an increase in funding to continue pursuing the FBI’s Russian investigation. This was an indicator that Comey had redoubled efforts to discover what had gone on between Trump’s cabinet, and if anything, Russia’s influence on the U.S. election; unjustly electing Trump as president.

A few days after his request, Trump made the decision without speaking with his cabinet advisors to fire Comey – under the premise that, “it was my decision.”

Regardless of Trump’s motives, the reality of the situation still holds; the FBI is still undergoing its investigation of Russia, and firing Comey isn’t affecting its course.

On Thursday, Andrew McCabe, the acting FBI director following Comey explained, “firing Comey will not hobble the Russian investigation,” (LA Times).

Though Trump’s intentions are still unclear, the FBI’s persistent message that the Russian investigation will still continue and will not stop until a conclusion is obtained, provides evidence and/or clarity of what exactly Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election was, and if the Trump administration was involved or not.

It is still too early to speculate on a sound basis, but the firing of Comey may provide visibility to previously buried corruption and unethical intention through the presidency. Time will tell.