LA County Runoff Results

LA backs charter schools, a re-worked police disciplinary program, and a new female city council member

Los Angeles City Hall

Los Angeles City Hall

Juan J Palma

Juan J Palma

Los Angeles City Hall

Ani Nalbandian, Copy Editor

Less than one in ten voters in Los Angeles showed up to the polls this past week to decide on runoff elections and ballot measures. Approximately 215 thousand voters in total cast their ballots for Tuesday’s election.

The election included: An LA City Council race, an LA school board race, and a measure regarding the LAPD’s disciplinary system. Voters in Canoga Park received a letter from the ‘California Voter Awareness Project,’ which indicated which homes in their neighborhood had voted in Tuesday’s election. This form of voter shaming has been completely denied by a Political Action Committee in San Diego with the same address marked on the letter.

People who received the letters, such as Bobbie Chasen, posted on Facebook, “It’s a document that shows when you voted for elections and when you did not vote. It exposes your neighbors’ voting information, names and addresses as well. When I read it I became very angry and felt violated.”

One of the most contentiously debated ballot measures was Charter Amendment C, which affords officers the opportunity to choose an all-civilian review panel during disciplinary proceedings. Measure C was supported by Mayor Eric Garcetti and the LA City Council. It also won the support of LA county, passing with an impressive 57 percent of the vote.

For LA City Council, District 7 for Northeast San Fernando Valley, a hotly contested seat was won by Monica Rodriguez. Rodriguez, who was running against Planning Director Karo Torossian, fills the seat of Felipe Fuentes, who stepped down from his position to take a lobbying job in Sacramento. The 15-person City Council consists of only one other woman, Nury Martinez, who introduced Rodriguez during her victory speech. Martinez said that she had been “waiting for this moment for four years.”

In Council District 1, incumbent Gil Cedillo won against Joe Bray-Ali with over 70 percent of the vote. Bray-Ali received major backlash before the election regarding racist online comments and supporting the burning and desecration of the American flag. In a Facebook post Bray-Ali wrote, “Let people burn the flag all they want, let them put it in their avant-garde art videos smeared in poo. Let them destroy it. In the U.S. the flag is not the state. The people are the state.”

The LA Unified School District had elections for two district seats, which involved $14 million of outside spending. The rhetoric surrounding the races were primarily overrun with charter school debate. The elections would determine the majority ideology of the LA Unified School Board regarding charter schools.

LAUSD District 4 was a race between charter school proponent, Nick Melvoin, and incumbent Steve Zimmer. The other LAUSD race for District 6 was between charter school supporter Kelly Fitzpatrick-Gonez and Imelda Padilla. Melvoin and Fitzpatrick-Gonez both won their seats, setting an unexpected precedent for the school district. The LA Unified School District has taken a hard shift towards charter schools.