Good Journalism Rewarded

Two Journalism majors become first students selected to receive 8-Ball Scholarship at Cal State LA

Back Row L -> R: Prof. Clark, Prof. Beauport, Bob Tarlau, Prof. Cox and Dr. Ramirez
Front L -> R: Minjeong Shin and Erron Franklin

Back Row L -> R: Prof. Clark, Prof. Beauport, Bob Tarlau, Prof. Cox and Dr. Ramirez Front L -> R: Minjeong Shin and Erron Franklin

Carlos Gomez

Carlos Gomez

Carlos Gomez, Web Editor

On Friday, May 19, representatives from the 8-Ball Welfare Foundation hosted a scholarship award ceremony at the University Times office. Receiving these awards were two journalism students, Minjeong Shin and newly appointed Editor-in-Chief of the University Times, Erron Franklin.

According to their website, “The 8-Ball Welfare Foundation was founded in 1954 by the Greater Los Angeles Press Club after the falling of the original Los Angeles Daily News. This closing left many journalists out of a job, and needing money to help them get back on their feet. Funded through donations from big Hollywood stars such as Marilyn Monroe, the 8-Ball Foundation gave journalists money to continue to pay for their expenses.”

Bob Tarlau, a broadcast journalist and Chairman/Treasurer of the 8-Ball Foundation, spoke about the awards. “The overall mission is to help journalists in temporary financial problems. In the 70’s we started to give grants to student, and this year we gave $1500 per school. It gives me a great feeling to help out these students who may not have financial problems but can always use more money for tuition, books, and supplies,” Tarlau said. “There’s a lot of satisfaction with this volunteer work that I do. When you’ve been in the business for a long time, you find great satisfaction in giving back to those who will continue this practice.”

Apart from the recipients, several faculty members from the Department of Television, Film and Media Studies (TVF) made an appearance to show their support for the students. Among them were journalism professors Tony Cox and John Beaupre, and Chair of the department, Dr. John Ramirez.

Minjeong, a student from Korea, was one of the first recipients of the 8-Ball Scholarship along with Erron. She expressed her emotions after receiving the award. “I really didn’t know there were only two people getting this award, and I worked hard to get my grades up. English is not my primary language, so there was a language barrier that I had to surpass. In LA, there’s Hollywood and other broadcasting stations, and I came over her to learn more about professional journalism”

Erron spoke with the those in attendance about his plans following graduation next year. “I’ll be applying for graduate in fall,” Franklin said. “I hope to attend one of the top graduate journalism programs in the nation but I do have my heart set on a certain school in New York.”

Professor Michael Clarke, Head of the Scholarship Committee for TVF, talked about his role in bringing the scholarship to Cal State LA. “It’s important to support journalism students as well as important to build ties outside in the professional field. They have a historic mission to assist young and aspiring journalists in the Los Angeles area.”

The University Times congratulates both of these two stellar journalism students and they continue to grow in this noble profession.  

For more information about the 8-Ball Foundation, visit www.8ballfoundation.com