Sweet treats during finals week

The Chicanx/Latinx student resource center hosts “Cafecito con pan” study break for finals week

Pan Dulce is a popular treat among Chicanx

Thomas Rodas

Thomas Rodas

Ricky Rodas, Managing Editor

Many different ethnic groups call the United States of America home, and each of them has a unique culture that they celebrate. While tensions between some of these groups have made it hard to accept one another’s differences, trying another culture’s food is often the gateway for conversation and reconciliation.

On Wednesday, May 17, The Chicanx/Latinx student resource center at the Cross Cultural Center (CCC) held a “Cafecito Con Pan” study break in their office to provide students a tasty treat and a sweet introduction to Latinx culture. The CCC’s  and Chicanx/Latinx student resource center coordinator, Laura Tejeda, detailed why they chose to provide pan dulce – which means “sweet bread” in English – for students during final week.

“We had a series called “Cafecito con Chisme” where we invited people to come and have conversations and partake in Gansitos [Mexican snack cake] and Mexican snacks, Latinx snacks that we folks really like,” Tejeda said. “Since we know that finals week is really crazy, we wanted to provide the snacks without the conversation; if they want to have the conversation in here while they study they can, they can also just come in here and study and grab a piece of pan [bread] all throughout the day just to brighten up their day.”

The pan dulces were bought from Castillo Bakery, a family owned Mexican “panaderia” in Pico Rivera. Tejeda said they aim to support family owned businesses in areas like Castillo bakery that are undergoing gentrification. Tejada, who is of Mexican descent, also talked about the sweet memories she has made while eating pan dulce with family.

“For me it means a lot; I know it sounds funny, but I’m actually emotional [right now] because my grandmother and I used to bond over food in general but pan dulce specifically. My grandmother’s name was Concepcion, so my whole family called her Conchita [a type of pan dulce]; when we got conchitas we’d always giggle, and she always made a cup of coffee as a kid,” Tejada said. “She always used to give me a pan and we’d talk over coffee and dip our conchas. For me it’s more than just a connection to food, it a connection to family, and I’ve talked to a lot of people and a lot of people agree.”

Students like Kinesiology major Violet Reyes agree with Tejada’s sentiment, and view cafecito con pan dulce (coffee and sweet bread) as a cultural staple. Reyes, a Mexican-American, shared a story of bonding over these treats with her grandma in Mexico. “I would go to Mexico to visit my grandma- she lives in a village where there’s little to no electricity- [and] so she had an actual clay oven, and would get this clay pot and you would boil the cinnamon or coffee, and it would taste way better,” Reyes said. “I remember that there would be the embers of the fire, and you could see everything lighting up; it would be seven, eight at night and you could see all the stars because there’s little to no light pollution there.” Reyes liked that the Latinx/Chicanx student resource center was offering pan dulce because “other people from the different backgrounds get to see a ‘new’ culture that isn’t there’s.”