KICK THIS

CSU Trustees approve $30 Million Major League Soccer training site and practice facility on the Cal State LA campus

LAFC Training Facility

LAFC Training Facility

Cal State LA News Service

Cal State LA News Service

LAFC Training Facility

Erron Franklin, Editor-in-Chief

The University announced that the Los Angeles Football Club, an MLS franchise, will construct its state-of-the-art training facility and team offices on campus. The CSU board of trustees green-lighted the $30 million project, that will be completely funded by LAFC, making it one of the league’s most expensive training facilities ever.

LAFC pledged an additional $1.5 million to support the school’s athletic program. The funds will be used to upgrade the track and athletic field to state-of-the-art-status, construct a tennis center, upgrade the women’s basketball locker room and form a women’s golf team.

According to a statement released by President Covino, the partnership will yield academic and internship opportunities for students. A new Master’s Program in Sport Operations and Athletic Representation will be developed by the LAFC in conjunction with Cal State LA Professor Anne Larson in the Kinesiology and Nutritional Science Department.

The LAFC Club President and Owner Tom Penn considers the University as an ideal space for this new venture. “Cal State LA is the perfect home for our team, and this plan affirms our commitment to building our future with the youth of Los Angeles,” he said. “We look forward to developing world class players and talent for decades to come at Cal State LA, which has a history of elevating the communities it serves.”

The facility will be constructed on the northern part of campus on a field currently being used by the LAFC youth soccer teams. Construction is set to begin soon, so what impact will that have on an already busy stretch of Rancho Paseo Castillo?

“The LAFC training facility will be located on the field off Rancho Paseo Castilla near the 710 Freeway. Construction, which is scheduled to begin shortly and be completed in 2018, is expected to have a minimal impact on traffic and parking,” said Robert Lopez, university spokesman.

The facility will be designed by Gensler Sports, the company also behind the design of the LAFC Banc of California stadium in Exposition Park. Hunt Construction Group will manage the project, which the team’s general manager and executive-vice president of soccer operations, John Thorrington, claims will be unlike anything else in the world.

“This training facility is unparalleled and uniquely Los Angeles,” he proclaimed. “The building itself incorporates innovative indoor-outdoor spaces and is unlike anything I’ve seen the world over.”

Among the teams 22 owners is NBA Champion, Hall of Famer, Los Angeles Lakers President of Basketball Operations and part owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson; World Cup Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist, Mia Hamm; former SNL star, actor and comedian, Will Ferrell; and Co-Founder and former CEO of YouTube,Chad Hurley.