CSU Smashes Butts

All CSU campuses set to become smoke, vape and tobacco free following executive order

Cigarette+Butt
Cigarette Butt

Cigarette Butt

Lindsay Fox

Lindsay Fox

Cigarette Butt

Ricky Rodas, Managing Editor

Under the Cal State University System (CSU) Executive Order 1108, all CSU campuses will be 100% smoke, vape, and tobacco free starting September 1, 2017. The executive order was issued by CSU Chancellor Timothy White, and takes the place of Executive order 599, which gave each campuses the option to implement their own smoking policy.

Under Article III of Executive Order 1108, exceptions to the smoke, vape and tobacco ban are listed. Nicotine cessation products regulated by the United States Food and Drug Administration are permitted, and “Smoking in university-sponsored theater and dance productions, student-authored or sponsored scenes, showcases or workshops produced as part of the department of theatre as well as ceremonial campus events may be authorized by the President or designee only when a required part of a specific performance.”

Article III also states, “Campus presidents or their designees shall have the responsibility of implementing this Executive order on their campus with an anticipated implementation date no later than September 1, 2017.” All of the CSU’s have set up taskforces to ensure a smooth transition in making their campus a smoke-free environment.

Strategic Planning & Quality Improvement Director Troy Allen oversees Cal State LA’s taskforce, and ASI President David Zitser sat on the taskforce to help create the marketing for it and determine how to address the problem of smoking on campus.

“The Smoke/Tobacco-Free Campus Task Force chaired by Troy Allen has been working for the past few months on smoothing out the transition to smoke/tobacco-free campus. We have representatives from all around campus including representation from Housing, Environmental Health & Safety, SHAC, the Students (ASI) etc,” Zitser said.

“What ASI is going to probably going to do in one of our first board of directors [meetings] is approve a resolution that says ASI is in support for this smoking [and vape] tobacco free, and that we as students are for it.” The ASI president is looking forward to seeing to seeing Executive Order 1108 implemented, but how do individuals on campus feel about the ban?

Students like microbiology major Joanna Gutierrez views the ban as a good thing. “I do think it’s going to have a positive impact on everybody’s health; I work at the student union and my focus in on student wellness… I can see the negative effect smoking has had on students,” she said.

Others like Administrative Assistant Douglas Ramon don’t smoke, but sympathizes with campus smokers. “I’m not a smoker so it doesn’t affect any of my habits and I feel pretty indifferent toward it, but if I had to take a position I would want people to be able to smoke on campus… it would be nice if they could at least have smoking section.”