Golden State Warriors 2017 NBA Champions

Mike Nelson, Contributor

The Golden State Warriors achieved their 5th championship title in team history by defeating the Cleveland Cavaliers in five games. They won Game five 129 to 120 in a very action packed game, where both teams  gave their all. Kevin Durant, the Finals MVP for the series, led the way for the Warriors with 39 points and an appalling 70% from the Field as he made 14 of the 20 shots he attempted in the game. Durant made shot after shot the entire game, the Cavaliers had Kevin Love, LeBron James, and Tristan Thompson guarding him at times, but the Cavaliers just had no answer. The defensive switches didn’t work and with a hand in his face throughout the night Durant still made the shots. On the flip side for the Cavaliers, LeBron James was phenomenal, he had 41 points, 13 rebounds and 8 assists. He was very close to averaging a triple-double for the entire series and that would have been a first in NBA Finals history. His unforgettable performance in this series was not enough and he fell to 3-5 in NBA Finals series.

Many people wrote off the Cavaliers when they were down 3-0 in this series, I wasn’t one of those people. Game 4 was supposed to be a cakewalk for the Warriors and it was the complete opposite. The Cavaliers came out firing and they lead 24-9 very early in the 1st quarter. The Warriors definitely looked rattled and seemed to be feeling the pressure of becoming the first team in NBA history to go undefeated in the playoffs and ultimately the NBA champion. The Warriors were never in Game 4, they trailed by 86-68 at half and the Cavaliers were well on their way to a victory. The Cavaliers won 137 to 116 by shooting an NBA Finals game record 24 three-pointers as a team, a night for the record books. The pressure was on the Warriors going into Game 5 Monday night and they were feeling it after blowing a 3-1 series lead last season against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Game 5 had a choppy start mainly because of the referees because they called many fouls in that 1st quarter. The Cavaliers led 37 to 33 at the end of the quarter and they seemed to be in good shape in this must win game. During the second quarter the game shifted for good, the Warriors outscored the Cavaliers 38 to 23 and they took control of the game, taking an 11 point lead to locker room at half. It would have been a 17 point lead if it weren’t for a couple late 3 pointers from J.R Smith for the Cavaliers.

In the 3rd quarter the Cavaliers made a run, LeBron James continued to punish the Warriors with his inside game, and that brought the Cavaliers back in this game. The Cavaliers outscored the Warriors 33 to 27 in the 3rd quarter and they made it a 5 point game going into the 4th quarter. Once again in the 4th quarter the Warriors finished out the game as a champion should and they made all the big shots that they had to make. Kevin Durant made countless jump shots, including a memorable one with 3 minutes to go over Kevin Love. The Warriors won 129-120 and Oracle Arena was ecstatic. The championship is scheduled for Thursday at 10 am and will be in Oakland’s Downtown area.