Do We Still Need To “Save Daylight”? Measure Could Keep Time in California Consistent

View of downtown LA from the Eastside (By Josh Rose via Unsplash)

Isaac Gutierrez, Contributing Writer

During the upcoming midterm elections in Nov., voters will have a shot at deciding if they want to repeal Daylight Savings Time.

A measure on the ballot proposes Daylight Savings Time to be applied year-round rather than biannually, according to the ballot measure language.

California Proposition 7 is one of 11 propositions In the upcoming elections next month. The legislature can repeal measures by a two-thirds vote.

Democratic Assemblyman Kansen Chu of San Jose is one of the many democratic supporters behind the measure that was approved by legislature and signed off by Governor Jerry Brown.

According to the official voter information guide, Chu believes, “switching times is outdated and hazardous for people’s health.”

With the increased use of solar power, many think of Daylight Savings as an outdated law that seems to increase the risk of stroke and heart attacks and wastes energy and resources, according to the ballot measure arguments in favor of it, wrote Chu, Rep. Lorena Gonzalez and cardiologist, Sion Roy.

Some students interviewed want consistency, and argue that setting back the clock twice a year is a hassle and unnecessary.

“I would love for this proposition to be passed. The time changing throws off my sleep schedule and adjusting is hard,” said Pasadena Community College student Robert Rodriguez.

Other students also expressed their frustration with Daylight Savings Time.

“It’s annoying to change the time to fit the time change. I just assume that everything automatically adjusts to the time change but some things don’t, so I always forget to change the time,” said Angel Salcido, a college student.

Opponents of this proposition argue that rejecting daylight savings makes the sun rise too late and claim that the state has more important issues to worry about.

Similarly, some students don’t think it will make much of a difference.

“I think Proposition 7 being on the ballot is a joke. It’s a useless proposition. It isn’t going to do anything. I don’t even feel the extra hour so there’s a difference that won’t be felt. There are bigger things that we should focus on,” said Jose Correa, Cal State LA sophomore.

“I am against it, the argument for it being repealed is not enough. We are accustomed to the time change. I don’t think it is a big enough issue,” said Cal State LA student Matthew Salcido.

Other students are indifferent about the proposition.

“As long as there is clear communication and it’s clear that there won’t be anymore time changes, having no time changes throughout the year shouldn’t be an issue for people to adjust to,” said Cal State LA student Alexa Parada.

Proposition 7 has a large list of major opponents, including the editorial boards of the Sacramento Bee, the East Bay Times, the Mercury News, Democratic State Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson and Republican State Sen. Jim Nielson.